It’s What’s For Dinner Wednesday! YAY! And I’ve had quite the Wednesday.
Molly slept until 8:30am which NEVER happens. I seriously felt like a new woman when I woke up. She is still coughing a bit and has a runny nose, but is feeling so much better. I think she just needed extra sleep.
About an hour or so after we woke up I was on Facebook and a friend of mine mentioned that the Bloom just down the street was closing and the ENTIRE store was 50% off. Well, I hauled my ass up there so fast and piled up my cart with diapers, coffee, baking ingredients and shampoo! I got $440 worth of groceries for $220. I don’t think I have ever been that excited about groceries. Woo!
Now, this recipe is an oldie. I can’t even remember where I found it but it has evolved over the past few years and I don’t even measure the ingredients anymore, but don’t worry, I have measurements for you. This dish is one of the first meals Ben and I made together when we started dating. Awwww.
Tortellini with Corn, Arugula and Tomatoes
- 2 packages of the tortellini of your choice
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels (I use frozen)
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled, stemmed and chopped (I use one tomato b/c Ben isn’t a big fan)
- 1/4 cup scallion, thinly sliced (I use onion powder to taste)
- Handful arugula
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Grated Parmesan
- optional – cooked ground turkey for a meat lover
1. Cook tortellini according to the directions on the packaging.
2. Meanwhile, pour the vinegar into a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Add the corn, tomatoes, scallion and arugula. Toss until coated.
3. When tortellini is done cooking, drain the pasta and then toss with the arugula mixture. The arugula should begin to wilt. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on a little parmesan.
Yum! It’s seriously so good. I like to add red pepper flakes to mine, but I’m totally addicted to red pepper flakes.
By the way… I’m so so so so mad about Picnik shutting down. I can’t even talk about it. 🙁