Oh my goodness have things been crazy around here or what. I’m not going to make any announcements just yet because I don’t want to jinx anything, but I’ll have some explanations for y’all soon. I also have been spending WAY too much time on Pinterest now that we found out we’re having a boy. I pretty much had everything planned in my head for another girl, so now that I have to take a different route, I need so major help. Follow me on Pinterest to see what themes I’m thinking for a boy nursery. Fun!!
Okay, so these lettuce wraps are AWESOME. I do have to let you know that I ended up not making the tomato and avocado salsa because I switched up my recipes during the week and my avocados weren’t ripe enough. Sadz. But I did end up making some DELISH guacamole later in the week with those avocados so not all was lost. I don’t like to waste food!
Turkey Lettuce Wrap Tacos from my fav, Kalyn’s Kitchen
Ingredients for Taco:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (I used minced garlic from a jar, but fresh garlic would be even better)
- 1-2 Tbsp diced green chiles (I used about half of a 4 oz. jar of diced green chiles, recipe called for fresh chiles which would be a bit hotter)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle chile powder (recipe called for cayenne)
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 large bunch cilantro, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups chopped cilantro.
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce (or use iceberg, Boston lettuce, or butter lettuce)
- Heat olive oil in heavy frying pan then add minced garlic and diced green chiles and saute about 1 minute. Add cumin and ground chipotle or cayenne and cook about 1 minute more. Then add turkey and salt and cook over medium-high heat, breaking apart with the back of the turner as it cooks. Cook about 5 minutes, or until turkey is starting to brown.
- While turkey cooks, thinly slice green onions and set aside, then wash cilantro, spin dry or dry with paper towels, and finely chop cilantro. Cut off root end of lettuce, discard tough outer leaves, and wash lettuce and spin dry in salad spinner or dry with paper towels.
- When turkey is lightly browned, add sliced green onions and cook about 2 minutes. Turn off heat, then stir in 1 cup chopped cilantro and 2 Tbsp lime juice.
Ingredients for Salsa:
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 2 T olive oil (optional)
- sea salt to taste
Peel and dice avocado, place in glass or plastic bowl and toss with lime juice. Stir in chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, and olive oil, season to taste with salt.
To assemble tacos:
Spoon 2-3 large spoonfuls of turkey mixture into each piece of lettuce. Top meat mixture with salsa.