I have a lot of people that come to me and say their husbands/boyfriends/fiances/sig others are “Meat & Potatoes” kind of men and that they won’t eat “health” food. To that I say, “Psssssh.” This crazy thing called “health food” can be delicious and filling. I promise you all that my husband eats EVERYTHING I make and rarely do I have a complaint. Usually it is, “Wow! This is delicious babe!” And don’t think he’s just being nice, I have had quite a few, “Well, next time you make this I would add more of this….” Which is code for, “This is just okay.”
So if you remain unconvinced, here is a sneaky recipe for your manly man.
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- optional, 8 small red potatoes (cut into wedges)
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (3 pound) boneless chuck roast or tenderloin for an extra lean cut
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth, fat free, low sodium
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Add carrots, potatoes, onion, bay leaves, roast, garlic, vinegar and broth to slow cooker, in that order. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
2. For a thicker gravy, combine cornstarch and water, pour into slow cooker the last 15 minutes of cooking time, for a thicker sauce.